Bedtime is getting hairy at our house.
Well, that is not completely accurate. What I should say is, every night, as I run Jr’s bath, there are two very different scenarios that are equally likely to go down.
When I whirl my hand to blend his bathwater , I might as well be spinning a roulette wheel….
Where the toddler mood stops, nobody knows.
In the past months I have developed a checklist of precautionary measures that render me
utterly ridiculous looking slightly less sexy than my usual smokin’ hawt look.
1. My hair gets twisted and wound tightly up on top of my head so no little hands fighting to NOT be fished out of the tub can latch on to a handful of loose hair. (Which may have resulted in something that looked like The Mr trying to pry a howler monkey off my head on at least one occasion.)
2. My maxi skirt (summer uniform of choice, ) gets hitched up under my shirt, over my boobs, so I don’t trip as I chase a naked streak of toddler down the hall waving a pair of dinosaur jammies frantically.
3. A nighttime diaper is tucked in the hitched up waist of that skirt for a “quick draw” when I finally manage to pin that calf down.
4. Big, old glasses are a must, protects from flying bath toys, water, flailing limbs, etc, without sacrificing current pair.
5. If it feels like it might be a marathon of toddler emotion after story time ends, there may occasionally be a travel mug containing a beverage derived from the grape. (Any port in the storm, people. )
6. Of course, all of this is most likely drenched by the time Jr has been extracted from the tub and secured in his puppy towel.
Last night bedtime was a 3 hour sob-fest filled with toddler bargaining attempts, whipping of nighttime buddies, clothing removal, and blood – curdling screams. (And that was just from me. Just kidding.
I came out of Jr’s room looking like I just did a triathlon, and fell instantly asleep in exhaustion and self-defense in case he woke up for more of the cray.
Tonight? Obeyed every request, sweetly particpated in stories, cuddled for songs, and drifted immediately off to dreamland cuddling Beans The Bear. So cute I swear he had a heavenly glow around his adorable little head.
:::hitching skirt back down and pulling off giant glasses ::::
Do you think they swap “guess what hoops I get MINE to jump through” stories over finger-paints at pre-school?